Friday, July 4, 2014

~Fourth Of July~


    When I think back over my life and all of the Fourth of the July's that I have had, they mostly mush down into one memory of barbecues and fireworks and watermelon and babies crying in terror at their first firework show.

     But in all of those memories, one 4th of July stands out with crystal clarity, my most favorite 4th of July to date.

     The year was 1993 and I had already made you my own personal playground.  We had spent the day doing some kind of dirty work because I was a mess when we jumped into Dave's truck to head to town and see the fireworks.  I just wanted to spend time with you, didn't really want to see people when I was such a wreck. It didn't break my heart  when we got over the hill by Ramsey's training stable and the truck died.

     You pulled off to the side of the road and jumped out and popped the hood.  I was expecting some fireworks because--well Rendell--and I was a little reluctant when you slammed the hood and told me to come check it out.

     You told me the truck was stalled and we would have to sit for awhile, and then you laughed and I was overjoyed that our dead truck didn't mean the night was ruined.

     We crawled up onto the hood and leaned back against the windshield to watch the far away fireworks of Farmington and you kissed me a bunch of times and told me that this was the best fireworks show you had ever seen.

     I think the truck was vapor locked, because it started when we got into it and we managed to make it all the way back to the stables. I am pretty sure that is the first time I got busted by your mom staying at the stables the next day--we shouldn't have kept Dave's truck.

    THAT ONE, that was a great 4th of July.

    This one, not so much.

I miss you tonight.

   Next year let's plan to be together and maybe we can vapor lock a truck and make out underneath the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment