Sunday, July 6, 2014

~Who's A Good Boy?~

The kids and I were talking about when you got Blue.  What they remember is Kevin stopping long enough to toss out his bed and then Blue jumped out of the back of his truck and i said, "We are not keeping that dog."

In the nine years since that day, I sure have grown fond of that ol' dog.

He is a pretty steady companion, I can always count on him to be enthused when I say we are going to the bird refuge, or the store--or just anywhere.  I have been taking him with me a lot, because I figure he should be happy during his last days.

Which are here I am afraid.



He is starting to have troubles eating and drinking.  The eating thing isn't that big of a deal because every since I heard he was fat and would eventually have eating problems, I have been feeding him up.  Table scraps by the bowl full.  Every scrap of every piece of meat, stew, lasagna--the works.  Blue dog has eaten more hot dogs in this last two months then he had for the previous nine years of his life.

His eating problems haven't really concerned me, he is still on the chubby side, but he started having problems drinking yesterday, and that is not a good problem to have.


We have known the day was coming when we are going to have to make the decision on how to handle the last days of his life.  I think those days are sneaking up fast.

But today, Blue dog was happy at the bird refuge.  


I am hoping that he holds out for one more trip to the cabin, I want him to get to spend another trip with all of us up there.  I am hoping that he stops degenerating so fast and waits until you get home because I really don't want to have to make that decision while you are in North Dakota.

Jeez, talk about a country music song lyric, "She killed my ol dog while I was hauling oil".

I also wish he would get better because I have loved having a big barking dog living with me while you are away.  And right now, he looks like he just crawled out of the Pet Cemetary so he is an even better watch dog.

Blue dog was one of the very best gifts you have ever made me take, even when I didn't want him.  I am really glad that I didn't demand you haul him to the pound, and I am thankful that you looked past his mean exterior and saw that he would be a good dog before I did.




No comments:

Post a Comment